Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Rockin' it to King's Domain

I'm inside a week until I begin Summer Project with Campus Crusade. I will be in Oregonia, Ohio, a super small town northeast of Cincinnati. I'll be working at a summer camp called King's Domain, where approx. 100 inner-city youth are sponsored to attend each week. I'm very excited to get down there and show these kids the love of Christ. The fact that I get to do that while playing outside, acting like a goofball and shooting paintballs is pretty sweet.

Some facts about why King's Domain is so needed in Cincinnati:

In Cincinnati:
  • 1 in 3 children lives in poverty
  • In the Cincinnati School District:
-50% are not proficient in reading
-Nearly 62% are not proficient in math
-More than 40% don't graduate high school
  • In 2006, the Juvenile Court system was comprised of 74% minority youth, 53% of whom were female
  • 50% of sexual assaults are on girls 15 or younger
-1 in 3 will be sexually abused by 18
-1 in 4 will be sexually abused by 14
In the United States:
  • 47% of boys and 46% of girls are sexually active
-5-10% of students are sexually active by age 13
-20% by age 15
-50% by age 17
  • 81% of students have consumed alcohol
-32% had their first drink by age 13

God's work through me will:
  • Encourage children who cannot meet the expectations placed upon them.
  • Build healthy relationships with children who are without parents, caring adults or supervision.
  • Teach life skills to children who are reliant upon theft, prostitution or drug dealing to survive.
  • Love children who have never been loved.
  • Feed children who are starving.
  • Give to children who have nothing.
  • Share hope with children who have been abused.
  • Speak the WORD of LIFE, the Gospel, to children and celebrate with Jesus Christ becomes real in their lives.



Then I heard the voice of the LORD saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”
[Jeremiah 6:8]


No comments: