Monday, March 30, 2009

God is WAY bigger than the Holiday Inn

Yes. I know it's been more than three months. But I'm back, hopefully more frequently.

We just had Spring Break and I went with around 90 other people from Ohio University Campus Crusade for Christ to Panama City Beach, FL for the Big Break '09 Conference. It. Was. Awesome. Not only were some amazing relationships built, God taught us a TON.

We spent the days doing evangelism on the beach in a variety of methods; we used surveys, photos and even iPods to draw people into spiritual conversations. We also heard from Roger Hershey in our main meetings. He gave some awesome insight into what it is to be a Warrior for Christ- I may post about that later.

Cool story from sharing on the beach:

The Holiday Inn does not like us to go onto their part of the beach and share the Gospel. As such, we had to "go stealth" whenever we did venture onto their sand. On Wednesday I went out with a freshman guy and a freshman girl. Despite their limited experience with initiative evangelism they were up for the challenge of "going stealth" and infiltrating the Holiday Inn's grounds with the message of Christ.

We approached a couple sitting on towels and struck up a conversation with them, the conversation transitioned to the Gospel and one of them (we'll call him Guy) prayed to receieve Christ! Even though I could not use any materials in my sharing with him, Guy was tracking with me the whole time and when I asked him if he wanted to pray to receive Christ he said "Absolutely!" After I said "Amen" I looked up and he was sitting their smiling. "That's a great prayer! I feel so good right now- you need to tell other people about this!" YES!!!!

It was so awesome to see that even without materials to lead us we had the Holy Spirit to guide the conversation and understanding Guy came to.

God is so much bigger than the Holiday Inn.

In total 4,661 conversations were initiated 2,088 heard the Gospel and 262 people prayed to receive Christ.

Praise God!

1 comment:

Sarah K. Johnson said...

Hey Ty! Great to see that you're blogging again! I'm a little behind on everything since this whole teaching thing started, but I'm happy to see that you're back. I enjoy reading your thoughts and interpretations on lots of different topics. Keep it up!